Scent- and Chem-Free
Congregation Ner Shalom is dedicated to creating community and ritual space that is safe and accessible to all, including people with severe environmental sensitivity. This is our Torah and we ask you to respect it.
It's easy to do once you know how:
- Please don't wear cologne, perfume, or scented hair (or other) products when you come to Ner Shalom.
- If you smoke, please take a few minutes to let the smoke from your last cigarette dissipate before entering the building.
- As you settle into a scent-free, chem-free way of thinking, start buying scent-free laundry detergent and fabric softener, soaps and shampoos, so that you can hug everyone at shul, and everyone can hug you.
- Don't be offended. We might ask you to change seats if you end up in shul while scented. It's not personal. It is in order to allow everyone who wants to pray together to be there safely!
- Tell your guests. They might be resistant at first. Looking nice for High Holy Days might, for them, automatically include smelling nice. So please explain to them that being scented may seem small to them, but not to someone who will not be able to remain in the room at services because of it. Or just tell them we're sticklers (because we are).
Join us in making our holy space safe for everyone.